Open Doors – Housing and Support for Nearly 100 Years
1917 – The Methodist Girls’ Club purchased a home on College Avenue in St. Paul to meet the growing need of safe housing in the Twin Cities for collegiate and professional women from greater Minnesota.
1921 – Emma Hayes Norton of Winona, MN donated $25,000 in stocks and bonds to the Women’s Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church, for the purposes of providing scholarship to young women entering Christian ministry and for “a project of the Society’s choosing.” This gift, along with other generous contributions from the Methodist Women, was put into a carefully managed fund and used to build what we know today as Emma Norton Services.
1967 – Emma Norton Residence was purchased at its current location on Robert Street in St. Paul and was named after the woman whose initial gift made the purchase possible.
1971 – Emma Norton Residence evolved to meet the growing need of young deaf students in the community when the need for housing for women from greater Minnesota was no longer essential.
1976 – When deaf and hearing-impaired services grew at the state and federal level, Emma Norton Residence launched the Wesley Family Program to provide housing for families with loved ones undergoing long-term recovery at nearby hospitals.
1991 – Emma Norton Residence began to provide services to women and families who were homeless and dealing with the effects of mental illness, and chemical dependency.
2002 – Emma’s Place was opened in Maplewood, MN. With it, the name “Emma Norton Services” was born to umbrella both Emma Norton Residence and Emma’s Place.Today – Emma Norton Services has two locations that provide housing, support services and basic needs to women, children, and families working to achieve victory over homelessness, mental illness, and chemical dependency.